Sunday, September 12, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Every Sunday, Mitchell and I teach a class of 4 year olds at our church- five little girls and one little boy who, already at the age of 4, recognizes he is totally outnumbered and that it isn't fair at all. I tell him it's ok though because he's going to be such a little stud some day for learning the finesse of managing a large group of women at such an early age. He doesn't completely buy it yet. One day he'll see how right I am.

Needless to say, our lessons are quite interesting some weeks with a group like ours. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of precious, tender moments where it is crystal clear why we are taught to be as little children, but there have been several times where Mitchell and I both just have to laugh right out loud. And those moments are too hilarious to keep all to ourselves. So World, enjoy the innocence of my sweet class:

Referring to Daniel from the lions' den, "Who knows who Daniel is?"
"I got a friend named Daniel."

Holding up a pink heart, "Who knows what shape this is?"
"Heart!" "A heart!" "Heart!" "Heart!" "A Heart!" "PINK!!"

"How come Jesus did such nice things for those people like bless them and heal them?"
"Because He's magic."

"What is your very favorite story from the scriptures?"
"I like the one with Pinocchio."
"With Pinocchio? Hmmm, what story is that?"
"You know, the one where he gets eaten by a whale but still lives anyway."
"Oh, you mean the one about Jonah and the whale?"
"Maybe. I just know that Pinocchio is so funny with that long nose!"

Showing a picture of Christ when he visisted the people in America, "These children weren't from Jerusalem. They were from somewhere far away. Do you know where they were from?"
"Ummm, South Carolina?"

"Do you think it made Jesus sad when those other 9 lepers didn't say thank you for healing them?"
"Yes. He probably went home and ate a whole bowl of ice cream. At least that's what my mom does when she's sad."

See, this is why I tell everyone I have the best church job in the world. How could you possibly hate teaching these kids when they're going to say stuff like this every week? I'm sure the list will go on and on. I'll keep you all posted when new favorites come up.

5 comments:

  1. 4 year olds are the best! I can only image Mitchell trying to talk philosophy with a bunch of 4 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "PINK!" HAAA!! Seriously - I'm laughing my head off right now. I can't stop laughing at the little one who tattled on his mom eating the ice cream - TOO FUNNY!! Great, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't teaching the sunbeams so totally exhausting and hilarious at the same time? I'm glad we are sharing this experience. People always say "makes you want to not have kids, huh?" but I think that it DOES because if I can handle 7 four-year-olds, I can certainly handle one infant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ice cream comment :) Kids are so brutally honest! That reminds me of one time in high school when I was babysitting some kids-- One of them said something to the effect of "You should have SEEEEN how messy our house was earlier! My mom said we had to clean up so you wouldn't think we're pigs." Gotta love kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of the atonement...I cut my finger

    ReplyDelete