Tuesday, October 26, 2010

We're Not in Utah Anymore

This morning I drop Mitchell off at school, come home, and turn on my beloved Law and Order: SVU to watch while doing some dishes and folding laundry. Not too far into it though, my show is interrupted by a phone call from Mitchell. That's weird. He's supposed to be in class right now. Why would he be calling? Well of course I answer it. He asks me if I'm at home. My first thought is that he must have forgotten something and needs me to bring it to him. Umm, no. He's calling to tell me that right now our city is in the middle of a tornado warning. The law school has locked all the students in the basement until further notice. He's just calling to make sure I'm ok.

Umm, I guess so. I mean, at the moment I'm not whirling around in the air with trees, cars, and cows shooting by me. And I definitely don't see any witches, flying monkeys, or lollipop guilds nearby. Oh wait, are those descriptions part of Twister and The Wizard of Oz? Of course they are! Because those 2 movies sum up all my experience with tornadoes! I'm from Utah for crying out loud! The only natural disaster I've ever been prepped for is an earthquake. Hello! We had mountains to protect us from the wind!

So what am I supposed to do? Get in a basement? We don't have a basement! After brainstorming with Mitchell, the only other thing we've been able to think of is maybe lay in the tub or something. Is that what you're supposed to do? (Seriously, if someone knows, please pass it on. Apparently this is knowledge I need to have). Well the house isn't shaking yet, so for now I've decided just to watch the weather through the windows... which are made of glass... which can easily shatter... oh boy.

Fo about 5-10 minutes the weather was crazy outside. Pretty much I thought I was watching a tornado form in my backyard. But then again, I don't really know what a forming tornado looks like, so it might have been my fear telling me what I was seeing. Luckily though, things soon died down. Although our patio furniture is still scattered out on the lawn. I still haven't worked up the courage to go outside. I mean, what if a tornado suddenly decides to drop down? I've heard they can do that.

But you know what the one nice thing is about a tornado warning? You find out you're incredibly cared about. Apparently Mitchell texted his family to tell them what was going on here with the weather. Within 2 minutes of getting off the phone with him, both of his parents and sister called me to make sure I was safe. They truly are the best. Thank goodness for family.

3 comments:

  1. Sheesh!! I'm so glad you're okay! I'm with you - I would have no idea what to do in that situation. I remember when the tornadoe his Salt Lake City and I was crying hiding in a basement closet with pillows all around me! HA! Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh scary. Glad your okay, I don't know what you should do either. Except I know I watched a episode of Desperate Housewives once and they had a tornadoe, and one of them did hide in the bathtub with a matress over the top. That about sums up my experience with tornadoes. Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would Jerry Orbach have done if he heard a tornado warning? I realize its not SVU, but work with it.

    ReplyDelete